Importance of Action Research in Teacher Development
Action research is a process of evaluating teaching methodologies. It is used as a teacher development tool in professional environment to improve the process of learning and teaching.
Training is an ongoing process, regular training is a form of investment in employee/teachers’ skills. Action research as an element of training identifies the critical aspect of research in a classroom. A packed environment which is studied in detail to resolve everyday issues results in a productive and proactive guideline for teachers to follow. Similar to all researches; action research is based on a scenario and has its own dimensions as well. Gaps in the research leads to further analysis by teachers on the identified problems.
Key areas of teacher development:
The driving force of training and research for teachers is a set of tools or areas which require guidance in form of teacher development programs and training sessions. Some of the key areas are;
- Skills: research is carried out to find out the skills for development among teachers. Also a comparative analysis of duties and responsibilities aligned with the skills set is carried out to know the potential position in the industry for research purpose. Training should always be relevant to the current job of employees’.
- Duration: the time needed to perform training and the required sessions/ intervals of training for teachers is of utmost concern. Time constraints may give out less specific information when performing action research.
- Delivery is the next focus point prior to the duration decided. There are a number of training types available; applied according to the given situation. Some of them are group sessions, one to one training and e learning.
Advantages of using action research in teacher development
Action research frames teacher development into a set of procedures which are linked to one another. It is a complete cycle which identifies the areas of concern, also develops a plan to resolve certain issues. Advantages of using action research in teacher development are;
- Keeps up with the changes in education: the education system keeps on changing and it’s important for the teachers to cope up with the changes as well. Regular training lifts all the barriers, making it easy for the teachers to adopt to the new system.
- Taking one step ahead of your competitors means developing yourself to suit new standards in education through trainings. Constant advancements help you to stay focused.
- Identifying your skill gaps is a plus point. When you carry out regular assessments and teacher development sessions you get in line with various new ways of dealing with your skill gaps. To retain the gained knowledge and successful application on a regular basis is the goal of action research.
- Our system is always welcoming advancements. New ways of teaching and using technology will cater to a bigger and better audience. Training costs is a huge expense for the organization, therefore many institutions give trainings on basic level so that the teachers can continue the process for others as well.
- Action research provides job satisfaction at a good level. It gives a sense of satisfaction and motivation to the teachers who benefit from the training activities/courses.
- It moves you one step ahead from your current position by gaining expertise in your applied field.
- Teacher development through action research is a good way to attract new talent. People look for better opportunities and facilities when going for a job search.
Training and development is a form of investment in education. The more you know the better you can teach, provide coaching and counselling and give out better information in a much advanced manner. Reflective activities in education are equally important as curriculum development. Action research is regarded as a critically important professional practice which has the potential to improve processes of learning and teaching as well as enhancing teacher’s abilities.