Need for Learning and Development
In this era of digital invasion, technological advancement, increased communication and interaction; in short, adapting to a challenging environment where change is seen as a global phenomenon. Learning and development has become a crucial point of concern for major industries and institutions.
Identifying learning and development as a need takes into account the assessment of learner’s capabilities keeping in view the knowledge and skills gap they possess. These assessments provide detailed analysis of the learner at individual or team level, therefore the outcomes are used to identify the level of learning and development required by an individual.
It is important for teachers to facilitate learners by developing different skills, encouraging self and peer assessments, group work and healthy competition. Nowadays, mobile devices have contributed effectively to ensure learning becomes a habit which is available to the masses. There are various learning and development programs available online including career, attitude and self-perception assessments as well. These forces require learners to continuously participate towards learning and adapt to changes.
Linking learning and development with practical classroom environment:
Learning and development planning will require a good analysis of the population for whom the plan is designed. Learning aims to cover a person’s knowledge, skills, behaviours, capabilities and attitudes. Whereas development is concerned with the ability and potential of the learner which are generally self-directed. Below are some of the situations where learning and development can be identified:
- Respecting and giving equal importance to children. Their attitudes are different and very sensitive to the adults around them. By observing their behaviour we can keep a check on them.
- The creativity of the curriculum and activities are not enough, and so instructors take time out for each child and interact with them.
- Offering variety of experiences, activities and a challenging environment contributes to the learning of time management, switching between activities and develops the learner for other opportunities to come.
- Encouraging children to join hands and work on problem solving projects to stimulate their thinking ability. If done in groups’, it benefits the learners in learning teamwork and enhances interest towards activities.
- Children are also made accountable for their actions. This encourages self-control and the ability to control situations.
Importance of learning and development:
To every department in an organisation, innovation is limited to the product and service the business caters to. Since years, producers’ prime focus has been on product differentiation rather than the learning and development of the workforce. A drawback of such an approach is the increasing ratio of following in terms of copying competitors’ system is a common outcome. We as companies and institutions invest a lot of time on preventing information theft but what we fail to notice is the most important asset ‘our people’ to whom we offer training, learning and development which cannot be copied and could be our core competence. Hence, it is advisable to make learning and development the center of your system.
Through learning and development, individual and group performance can be supported. The first task is to manage the resources you have in hand; which involves restructuring of the learning system according to the needs of the population. Secondly, redesigning the learning system to give a meaning to the practices adopted. It is important to work on the performance of the work rather than making use of multiple approaches and support tools for learning. The information is thought to be unique which benefits the cost system as well. Lastly, we will have a good set of skills combined to form a system which can be used to achieve organisational success.
The learning and development cycle has a precise vision attached to it, you must only know how to execute the plan and make it a habit to learn and adapt to new skills, procedures and practical theories in learning. Therefore, making the learning and development process more valuable.